W’burg homebuilder accused of theft to face more charges
A Williamsburg homebuilder pleaded not guilty Monday afternoon to allegedly stealing $526,000, but could be facing additional charges next week.
"I anticipate that the next grand jury report may have some additional cases against him," said Commonwealth’s Attorney Allen Trimble Monday. "We had five additional cases presented to the grand jury today."
Last month, the grand jury returned eight separate indictments charging Roy Perkins with three counts of theft by failure to make required disposition of property over $300 and five counts of theft by deception over $300.
"Mr. Perkins is a local builder, who over the course of 18 months borrowed large amounts of money from various people promising to split profits on building projects, which he never did," Trimble said.
"On some of them, he never started. From other people, he took money for their houses and didn’t complete the houses or just left."
The alleged thefts took place from March 2007 through August 2008, according to Perkins indictments.
Perkins attorney, Warren Scoville, entered a not guilty plea on his behalf Monday afternoon, and told Judge Dan Ballou that his client would be in court next week to answer any additional charges.
Perkins is currently free on an $80,000 fully secured bond, or $10,000 for each indictment.
Scoville asked that the bond conditions be modified and Trimble indicated that he would likely ask for a higher bond if more indictments are returned next week.
Ballou recused himself from hearing the case because he knows some of the victims involved though, Trimble said.
Judge Paul Braden will likely take up the matter of bond if Perkins is indicted again next week.
The grand jury started investigating the case after receiving a referral from a federal bankruptcy trustee for a criminal prosecution. Perkins has filed for bankruptcy over funds in excess of $2 million, Trimble said.
If convicted, Perkins faces a possible prison sentence of up five years in prison on each charge.