Man to serve 16 years for attempted abduction of Corbin teen
The 16-year prison sentence that a homeless man will receive for trying to kidnap a Corbin teen from her home on American Greeting Road in May, will be served consecutively to the remainder of the life sentence he received for a murder and robbery in Clark County in 1989.
Forty-two-year-old Carl D. Miller pleaded guilty Thursday to charges of attempted kidnapping and second-degree persistent felony offender in exchange for a recommended prison sentence of 16 years.
Miller was arrested on May 10 on unrelated charges and charged in the incident on May 11 after Laurel County Sheriff’s deputies investigating the incident learned he was in custody and were able to interview him.
According to deputies, Miller followed the girl, identified as C.A., date of birth Aug. 20, 1997, in his van as she walked along American Greeting Road. Upon seeing the van following her, the girl turned around and returned home.
Soon after, a male subject in the same white van, later identified as Miller, knocked on the door.
The man initially said his van had become stuck and he wanted to know if she had a jack he could borrow, Deputy Gilbert Acciardo, the department’s public affairs officer, previously stated. When she told him no, Miller allegedly offered her pills and began making sexual comments to her before grabbing her arm and trying to force her to go with him.
“She pulled free and ran to a neighbor’s home for help,” Acciardo stated previously, noting Miller fled the scene.
Acciardo added that the family and victim were familiar with the suspect and were able to give deputies information to identify Miller as the suspect.
Miller was indicted by a Laurel County grand jury in June.
Miller was convicted in 1990 of murder and first-degree robbery.
Miller and his co-defendant, Robert Francis, robbed and beat Thomas Bennett to death with a hammer at Muddy Creek Grocery Store about six miles outside of Winchester.
Miller was sentenced to 10 years for the robbery and life in prison for the murder. He was released on parole in 2001.
Parole officials said because he was under a life sentence, he remains on parole.
Laurel County Commonwealth’s Attorney Jackie Steele said Miller’s parole was revoked following a hearing on Aug. 8 and the sentence for the attempted kidnapping will be served consecutively to the life sentence.
Steele said there is no time frame for when Miller may go before the parole board again, or, if he will be granted another parole hearing. However, even if is granted parole on the murder case, he would have to serve a minimum of 20 percent (three years and four months) of the 16 years in prison before he would be eligible for parole on the attempted kidnapping charge.
Miller is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 27 for formal sentencing.




